What happens when you use Personal Interest Projects in Secondary?
At the beginning of term 4 I took over a year 10 IST. To address the learning outcomes linked to the the future uses of technology I designed a Personal Interest Project that utilised the schools Makerspace.
- Justify responsible practices and ethical use of information and software technology
- Analyse the effects of past, current and emerging information and software technologies on the individual and society.
Students were given a Project Sheet.One of the key components of the project was blogging. Students were required to keep a record of their progress using a blog. The Project Sheet included a list of possible questions they could blog about.
The topics covered included:
- Research and design a 3D printed coffee cup.
- Create a 3-dimensional object using blender and print it using the 3D printer
- Create a 3D figurine in Blender and print it
- Create a sound recording using Little Bits Synth Kit
- Create a how to video on the use of Goldiblocks and blog about gender equity issues in the field of STEM.
- How to mine Bitcoin
- Research the past, present and future of technology used within the theatre, lighting and sound.
Congratulations goes to the blog on Gender Equity. The girls responsible for this blog have been published on collegebykids.com. Their blog can be found is the section blogs for teenagers: