Prior to working with eTextiles students need to understand the principals of a circuit. The importance of connecting the + on the battery to the + on the light. One of my previous blog posts was about using Paper Circuits
Once you have explored the basics of a simple circuit the next step would be to sew a simple circuit with conductive thread to connect a battery to an LED.
Tips when working with eTextiles
- Handsew the pieces together with regular cotton to hold all pieces together.
- Ensure when sewing each side of the circuit (+ to + and - to -) that threads do not cross or touch in any way.
- Use a running stitch.
- Pull thread firmly into place, don't use loose stitches.
- Knot ends tightly.
- Trim any loose threads close to the the knot.
- Clear nail polish can be used to seal the knots in place.
Some SuppliersBe sure to search widely if you are looking for the best price. These mentions are not endorsements